How to measure for a screen door kit
Screen door kit measuring is not difficult.
All you need is one of those retractable steel tapes. It's the best tool to use to measure things around the house.
The nice thing about a steel tape is that it is stiff enough to hold up vertically without it bending. It allows you to measure tall objects easily.
When I measure a patio door, I typically pull out the tape to about 7 feet long and then hold the top of the tape up against the top of the door and try to get the whole tape straight from the top to the bottom of the door.
The picture above shows a patio door frame cut right through the middle. On the bottom are the tracks that the sliding doors roll on. At the top are channels that guide the doors.
Most screen doors are located on the outside. To measure the height for a new screen slider, you measure from the top of the top track to the top of the bottom track as shown in the picture.
Then subtract 1/4" from your measurement to get the actual height of the new screen door.
To get the width, measure the width of the glass patio door that slides. The width of the screen door will be the same.
Some patio doors will have a track at the top for the screen door as well. The measurement for these is a little different.
Measure from the bottom of the top track to the top of the bottom track. The add 1/4" to the measurement to get the actual height of the new screen door.
Need help measuring ? - download the pdf measuring guide below
Screen Door Measurement Guide
Do you need extra help measuring? Call me at 905-467-0233.
The screen door kit is the quick solution if you have an aging slider that sticks and jams. A sliding screen door is a very simple project to put together and will give you relief from those irritating bugs by keeping them out of your home.
These kits use strong extruded aluminum frame components. Unlike the weak the roll-formed aluminum frames the builders often use. Roll formed doors quickly get loose and if someone walks into them, all to often they can get bent in half.
The extruded aluminum screen door kit on the other hand provides a lasting quality since the frame is much more difficult to bend. The hardware provided with the door makes a difference too.
Smooth rolling ball bearing rollers that wont break wont somemone walks into the door. As well as stronger corners that hold the door together longer.
These kit form doors can be installed by anyone. They are shipped in pieces for you to assemble. Once built you can take it to your local screen shop for screening or do it yourself.
Following these procedures can make it easier for you to put up your screen doors:
• Go through the list of parts and check if everything is complete.
- 2 long horizontal rails
- 2 short vertical rails
- 4 corners of die cast aluminum
- 4 ball bearing rollers
- 1 screen door handle
• Use a rubber mallet to hammer the corner up to one of the short rails' end until it is fitted tightly enough. Make sure that it is tight for it to securely hold the door in place.
• Then hammer the corners into both of the bottom rails' ends.
• Do the same with the other corners until all of the corners have been installed for both horizontal rails.
• Then hammer in one of the vertical rails into one of the installed horizontal rails so the exposed end is pushed. The miter joints should perfectly match.
• This procedure should then be repeated on the other side using the other vertical rail.
• Repeat the same procedure with the other horizontal rails and vertical rails until the frame is fully assembled.
• The rollers should then be installed by hooking the long spring on the roller into the hollow space of the horizontal rail.
• The roller should be twisted against the spring, allowing it to perfectly fit the notch.
• Try to release the roller as it snaps right in the hollow area of the horizontal rail but sticking out a bit in the outer part.
• Push the rollers and check if it freely moves up and down.
After these procedures are accomplished, your screen door kit is ready to be installed in your door.
The kit is easy for any home owner to put together and it saves you money because you really dont have to buy a whole new patio door just because your screen door is missing !
Replacing a slider is not that complicated. After it is done, your house will be free from all those nasty insect pests.
Do you have any questions about screens, windows and doors ?
Have any questions about what you are reading here ? Do you have any information that you can share ?
Feel free to ask away, and better yet post your photographs. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".
I will try to answer your question. If I dont know the answer, I will try to find it for you.
If you have some interesting information that you would like to share, please do so. Anything that helps others get their problems solved is fine by me.